Antioch celebrates 67th church anniversary

November 11, 2013


Rev. Dr. Steven H. Harris Sr., and the congregation of Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, 2033 W. Congress St., observed their 67th church anniversary on Sunday, October 20, 2013. Antioch was organized October 8, 1946, with three members. The first place of worship was in a one room building located at 1844 N. 7th Street. The congregation grew and several years later relocated to 623 W. Reservoir. The church received its charter from the State of Wisconsin in 1949. The membership continued to grow rapidly, which required another move to 1653 N. 5th Street in 1953. Ten years later, the church moved again because the city had plans to widen Walnut Street. In 1990 the church moved to 1990 W. Atkinson Avenue, and again after 12 years of being at that location, there was a need for more space. A much newer facility was offered to Antioch by the Augustana Lutheran Church and the deal closed on February 15, 1984. Six years later, Rev. Louis S. Beauchamp entered into eternal life. Over the years, several pastors served the church, including: Pastor Earl Thomas (now deceased); and the present Pastor Steven H. Harris, Sr. Pictured above is Rev. Harris and the Antioch Mass Choir.