Toxic mold may cause serious illness and even death. In most cases, exposure to harmful mold spores is the major cause.
Multiple symptoms of mold poisoning and other inexplicable ailments may be brought on by mold toxicity. If not caught and treated promptly, mold—which may take on a variety of hues, including green, black, red, and white—can cause serious health problems.
Who is at a greater risk for mold toxicity?
Mold toxicity affects individuals of all ages, but it poses a greater threat to those with asthma or other respiratory problems, who are sensitive to molds, reside in homes with inadequate ventilation and humidity, work in fields where mold exposure is necessary, or live in areas prone to flooding.
What are the signs that mold contamination is negatively impacting your health? Well, there are a lot of symptoms that might indicate you’ve been exposed to harmful molds.
Here are 10 symptoms of mold toxicity you need to watch out for
#1 Allergic reactions
Mold spores may trigger certain allergic responses, which can cause mold allergies. Symptoms like congestion, coughing, skin rashes, and wheezing are possible.
Exposure to hazardous mold usually causes these symptoms to manifest right away. Remember that mold allergies are more common in those with compromised immune systems.
You can suffer from mold poisoning if you’re always tired and have no energy. This is because the elimination of mold toxins requires more energy than usual, which may lead to persistent feelings of lethargy.
#3 Respiratory problems
Because it impacts every region of the respiratory system, mold toxins may cause various respiratory issues.
The sinuses, bronchi, nose, and throat may all become inflamed as a result. Inhaling mold spores may lead to various respiratory issues, including a stuffy nose, profuse coughing, difficulty breathing, and a tight chest.
#4 Skin problems
Among the most noticeable signs of mold poisoning are certain skin issues. Eczema, redness, itching, and rashes are among them.
Inflammation and other skin issues are exacerbated when immune responses are triggered by skin exposure to mold spores. Skin problems like dermatitis, scaly skin, and dry skin may be brought on by inhaling or consuming mold spores.
#5 Digestive problems
Additionally, gastrointestinal issues may result from mold poisoning. Stomach discomfort, diarrhea, acid reflux, and gas are some of the gastrointestinal disorders that may arise from consuming food infected with mold.
Toxins increase the likelihood of gastrointestinal issues by disrupting the intestinal flora balance.
#6 Headaches and migraines
Severe headaches or migraines may be caused by exposure to poisonous mold. Inflammation in the brain, brought on by mold spores and other harmful mold byproducts, is the typical culprit behind these symptoms.
#7 Chronic sinus issues
Mold spores may cause chronic sinusitis and severe congestion. It can potentially aggravate sinus issues by irritating the nasal canal mucosal membrane. The possible side effects are the inability to smell, discomfort in the face and teeth, postnasal drip, and headaches.
#8 Joint problems
In addition to causing fungal arthritis, mold toxins may cause joint stiffness and other issues.
Muscle and joint discomfort, swelling, restricted mobility, and other musculoskeletal problems may all stem from fungal spore accumulation in tissues and bones, which in turn can promote inflammation. Joints such as the hips, knees, shoulders, and ankles are susceptible to fungal arthritis.
#9 Cognitive problems
Molds may cause brain damage due to their poisons. They cause neuroinflammation and cognitive impairment once they reach the brain and spinal cord.
According to studies, Mycotoxins, which are present in molds, may disrupt brain function and cause direct harm to neurons. Consequently, it disrupts the normal flow of information between brain cells, leading to a host of cognitive issues, including forgetfulness, attention issues, and brain fog.
#10 Depression and anxiety
Mold poisoning may affect brain processes and lead to anxiety and depression problems, according to studies. Mood swings and depressive symptoms may result from toxic mold spores interfering with neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine.
Seek prompt medical attention if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above. It should be borne in mind that the aforementioned symptoms might provide an even greater threat to people with compromised immune systems or other health conditions.
In addition, it is advised to contact a professional remediation service and get the mold cleaned immediately upon discovery.